The Prosecutor-General's Office of Azerbaijan said on October 6 that a pipeline has been targeted in fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces in and around the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, an accusation immediately rejected by Armenia.
Rockets were fired at the part of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline passing through the Yevlakh region, the prosecutor-general's office said, according to RFE/RL's Azerbaijani Service.
The attempt to damage the pipeline, an important component of Europe's energy security, occurred at about 9 p.m. local time on October 6, the office said. It was prevented as a result of measures taken by the Azerbaijani Army, it said, adding that a civilian was killed.
Armenia's Defense Ministry rejected the accusations.
"Azerbaijan's reports of Armenian troops' attempt to strike the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline are outright lies," Armenian Defense Ministry press secretary Shushan Stepanian wrote on her Facebook page. "We have repeatedly said that we do not view oil and gas infrastructure as our target."
Earlier on October 6 there was a barrage of rocket fire on Nagorno-Karabakh’s capital, Stepanakert, and a "large-scale attack" by Azerbaijani forces along the southern front, Stepanian said.
Azerbaijan said Armenian forces targeted several of its regions.
Heavy shelling between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces persisted for a fifth day as the two sides continued to ignore repeated calls from international leaders to halt fighting over the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region.
In their joint statement, Presidents Emmanuel Macron, Vladimir Putin, and Donald Trump acted in their capacity as co-chairs of the so-called Minsk Group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which mediates in the conflict.